Friday 9 March 2012

"Simple" Sock Shocker!

...or "Why You Shouldn't Listen to Other People All That Often"


Huzzah!!


They're finally finished!


Well, actually I have a confession.  Followers on twitter (there's a link over there --> if you'd like in on this sort of hot-off-the-press action!) will already know that I actually finished these last week.  Dunno what's put me off blogging about them...

So, what was it like making my first proper actual pair of socks (as opposed to the lonely, tatty numbers I usually end up with)?

It was, er, uneventful.

Hmm, that's not fair.  I liked knitting them.  I enjoy wearing them, and I ADORE the colours.  But, meh.  This sort of project just really isn't for me it seems.  No bother.

But I've been inspired by the lovely katyja who normally knits her socks top-down on dpns, but is currently making a pair toe-up using magic loop.

Time to mix things up!  She's given me a simple top-down, heel flap pattern to try and I. AM. LOVING. IT!!

Turns out that for all that time I was feeling pretty lethargic about knitted footwear, it was actually the construction I had issues with!  So the moral of my little tale is that when someone says "oh, but this is the ABSOLUTE best/easiest/most efficient way to do them!" - ignore them completely.  Hardly a new knitting moral (and it beats me why I clung onto it so long in this case), but one worth repeating.

I don't have any pics of the new socks yet, but expect some soon - they are flying by!

Kim x

4 comments:

Tickety-boo said...

They are Gert Lush!!!
Totally love them.
It is horses for courses isn't it? I love toe up much more than cuff down and magic loop is the only way for me but that's just my preference. I cansee that others prefer cuf down and DPN's but whatever your preference Socks Rock!!!
xxxx

Inthesky said...

I love um! I haven't made enough socks to have fully grasped, top down, toe up, magic loop, I need to get this sorted one day. I would love you to point me in the right direction by recommending a pattern, the above ones look too tricky for me!

Anonymous said...

Ooh I can't wait to see your new pair! :) And please include lots of pictures of the process of making them ;)
xo,
wink

monkinandme said...

Love these socks!! Great pattern.
And your spun yarn is lovely. Looks like fun.